Re: finding unused files

by "Thomas R. Powell" <tompow(at)n2.net>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:22:43 -0700
 To:  <amcbainezzell(at)alum.mit.edu>
 Cc:  "Hwg-Techniques@Hwg. Org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi amcbainezzell,

I have been working on a web site spider that does exactly what you want. I
am not prepared to release the PHP script to the Net, but I will Spider
your site and send you a report of all of the pages and images that are
called by the pages on the site. You can use the report to compare with the
FTP list of pages and images and determine the orphans. The script is a
Beta, and still has some bugs, but it has done a thorough job on most of
the sites that I have spidered.

What I will need are:

1.  Complete URL including http and file name of the Home Page.

2.  Approximation of the number of pages on the site.

3.  Approximation of the number of images on the site.

Send the request to, tompow(at)n2.net include "Image Tender" in the Subject

You will get your report within 10 minutes of when I read my mail.

Tom