Re: File d/l problems - Help

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:11:44 -0600
 To:  CASchwark(at)aol.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:13 AM 2/17/00 , CASchwark(at)aol.com wrote:

>name to access, but the "Save As..." file name that it shows just before
>saving is  xxxxx.ps and not xxxxx.eps.  Performing a right-click and "Save
>Target As..." does the same truncation to the file extension.

Chuck,

Check the following:

1) What MIME type is the server returning (if nothing else, request the file from a telnet window so you can see the HTTP header). You might also want to check the MIME configuration on the server.

2) How is that MIME type registered in the client machine?

In general, the MIME type returned by the server dictates how the file is handled by the browser (e.g. text/html is a standard HTML document), .. so it must be identified correctly and registered on the browser for proper action.

The most likely reason, I think, that you are seeing extension corruption is the MIME type is registered incorrectly in the browser. You see .zip files correctly because the zip program has registered them properly.

         HTH,

         Lee