Re: problems with mailto:

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:11:11 -0600
 To:  <amcbainezzell(at)alum.mit.edu>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:44 AM 3/10/00 , Ann Ezzell wrote:

>One of my coworkers is trying to submit data from a form using <form
>method="post" action="mailto:theAddress(at)theServer.com"
>enctype="multipart/form-data"> and it's not working.
>
>When I try the page in IE4, clicking the form submission button opens
>a blank email message addressed to the designated address, but there's
>no data from the form. I use Outlook 98 as my email client.

mailto depends on the mail configuration in the browser, .. which can vary from client to client. In any case, you do not get any data except subject, so it is not usable for anything except a quick note with subject.

You should use a form on the server, .. there are hundreds out there - the one we use I have been hacking on for six years so I would not recommend it <g>!

If you need an sample, search for formmail.pl.

         Lee