RE: Backing up sites

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:40:55 -0600
 To:  "Jennifer C. Swartz" <eandscon(at)javanet.com>,
"Shannon Doyle" <shannon(at)oztek.net.au>,
"HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:53 PM 3/10/00 , Jennifer C. Swartz wrote:
>I am a Webmaster at a local college and I am responsible for administration,
>maintenance and backing up the 2 servers we use to serve our pages.  We have
>a Network Administrator and an Assistant Network Administrator on staff.  I
>am curious as to whether others out there agree with Lee in that this is not
>a Webmasters responsibility?  I would love to hear thoughts on this...
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Jennifer C. Swartz

Hi Jennifer,

Frank just made a good point that I would like to expand on - most developers keep local copies of the site code, .. so the only backup issue would be primarily for any dynamic data - databases, et al, .. which is more of a task for the system administrator/staff than the site itself.

In our shop, we host 50-100 web sites, .. yet I do not backup any servers. We have local development copies that *ARE* backed up on a regular basis on our development machines - the sites themselves have nothing to backup except log files and databases.

         Lee