Re: /index.htm reload?

by 2Nerotik <2nerotik(at)nisa.net>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:34:49 -0800
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  erwmag(at)email.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:15 AM 14/03/2000 -0500, Phil Babcock wrote:
> >These are NOT distinct URLs:
> >erwnerve.tripod.com vs erwnerve.tripod.com/index.htm
> >go ahead and try it on any wedsite... type in just the
> >name without index.htm and then add in index.htm... hmmm
> >nope no difference to me...
>
>Uh, yes they are.   Index.htm doesnt have to be, and isnt, the default page
>on every website.  I, for one, use start.  If you type in www.somesite.com

*G* ok I'll give you that... I only knew of index.htm(html) and
default.htm(html)
as being the 2 pages that a server will look for depending on how it is
configd.

My point was that in this particular case they _weren't_ different.

>the server redirects you to the start/index.htm, or whatever you tell it is
>the default page.  If you dont specify a default page in your server setup

Ok... seems like some are assuming he's running his own server... which he
hasn't
said he is and if you look at the URL given he's on Tripod.com. Which I
think may
be causing all the confusion about how his server may or may not be configd.

>and someone just types the domain name and doesnt specify a page, guess
>what? It wont work, or they will get a directory listing (if that is
>allowed on the server.)  The browser doesnt know that index is present on
>the server before the server tells it that it is.

Opps, yes you are right about that, I believe the most are set to default
to index.htm
but certainly not all are and that is what will happen if index.htm is not
on the server.
Chalk it up to being tired after an hour an a half or rollar blading in the
rain (ugh).

> >and not www.thissite.com/index.htm... because they don't NEED to.
>Yes, but not because they are the same.  It is because they know that the
>server will load index.htm by default, if no other page is specified.

Ahhh and here is where we finally get the real answer and what I missed saying
yesterday... Ok trying to make this general enough:

erwnerve.tripod.com vs erwnerve.tripod.com/index.htm are the same IF your
server
is setup so that it looks for index.htm as the default webpage when a page is
not specified and as noted the server depending on the setup/software may look
for other pages as it's default, such as default.htm(html), index.asp or
start.htm(html)

Boy good thing I have thick skin... just kidding... Now where would we be if we
didn't learn something new everyday.

Hmmm now I hope I haven't gone and started something that is confusing the guy
to death.

.oOo.