Re: Dreams, and ems, oh my!

by 2Nerotik <2nerotik(at)nisa.net>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:24:04 -0800
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Forget ems and pts completely.

It's been brought up that px is a much better unit to use as regards
fonts.

Why ? Because they display pretty much the same on a MAC as a PC
using NN or IE.

Universality is what you are want. A good average font size is about
14px - 16px of course noting I'm at 1024*768 rez.

Also DON'T mix font units like that use only one font unit though the
whole site.

body { font : normal 12px Verdana, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color : #006699
}

h1 { font : oblique 14px Verdana, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color : #003366
}

Notice as well I also added the font Geneva for MACs, no I don't own
a MAC this is what I've picked up from MAC users tho.

I see you also used the font Soprano.. I don't have it and yet I have over
600 fonts and would guess a lot of other people don't either... stick to
fonts everyone has to again keep the pages looking universal.

At 06:45 AM 21/03/2000 -0800, Katherine Carrington wrote:
>Hello guyz,
><SNIP>
>Noting that one of suggestions that is given by <http://cast.org/bobby/> is
>the use of ems, rather than pts, I've decided to make the big leap and take
>them up on thier suggestion.  What I can't figure out, and can't seem to
>find anywhere, is does one begin with a base number?
>
>For instance, I am working on an external style sheet, if I wanted to have
>the majority of font size on my page to be 12pts, and use ems for
>(larger/smaller), where do I put the 12pts?  In the body?  and then use the
>ems for (larger/smaller)?  Example:
>
>body {
>font-style : normal ;
>font-family : Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
>font-size : 12pt ;
>color : #006699
>}
>
>h1 {
>font-style : oblique ;
>font-family : Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
>font-size : 2.50em ;
>color : #003366 ;
>}
>
>.copyright {