RE: To WWW or not To WWW...

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:09:16 -0600
 To:  Peter Benoit <pbenoit(at)triton-network.com>,
"'Martin T. Hugo'" <martyh(at)erinet.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:30 AM 3/23/00 , Peter Benoit wrote:
>The SSI isn't a problem.
>
>My confusion came about after my last domain registration, which was done
>exactly the same as my prior registration.  You can load the latest domain
>without the www, but the previous one you cannot.  The only differences,
>that I know of, are the fact that one is on an NT box and the other isn't.
>The company that currently hosts my latest domain are the biggest bunch of
>slackers on the web, so I have a real hard time believing that 2 DNS entries
>were made on my behalf (I'm often surprised that the site loads at all
>sometimes...).  Which lead me to believe that it was a server setup issue.

It's not a setup issue, .. but that the DNS from the outfit that 'automatically' uses both names is setup with a default 'A' record and a CNAME to your web site. It's nothing major to do, so the new server should be able to do it.

Answering to two IPs (www.foo.com and foo.com)has nothing to do with the server, unless you are using name-based (http 1.1) virtual servers.

         Lee