Re: [HWG-techniques] Default page

by 2Nerotik <2nerotik(at)nisa.net>

 Date:  Sun, 26 Mar 2000 02:35:08 -0800
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yes but... are you running you own server or using an ISP ?

If you are using an ISP then you should really contact them
and ask them what the proper name is.

ie. my ISP has their servers set to recognize a webpage
called missing.htm as the webpage to display IF the page
being requested is not found.

404.htm(html) has also been mentioned as the name for
the default "file not found" page.

You can try naming a file with both names with slightly different
content to see which one loads when an erroneous page is asked
for.

At 12:12 AM 26/03/2000 -0500, The Tack Box wrote:
>Is it possible to make your own default page so that if a page happens to be
>missing or no longer there the person will see this page rather than the
>ugly 404 NOT FOUND page?
>Thanks again.
>Judy

.oOo.