Re: Relational Databases

by Paul Clark <pclark(at)gate.net>

 Date:  Wed, 05 Apr 2000 21:31:33 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ben,

I would use ASP if that's what you're comfortable with. Most servers
support it and it links easily into MS SQL Server and MS Access. There are
of course plenty of options out there Cold Fusion, PHP, Perl so it's always
a matter of what your ISP supports and what you're most comfortable using.
I prefer Perl to SQL Server via ODBC.

As for resources, you can find resources aplenty on the hwg site at
perl.com for perl, etc. etc.

Paul

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 12:57:16 -0700
From: Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>
Subject: Relational Databases
Hi all;
I've bitten off more than I can chew, and although it may cause
indigestion, this one's going down :) I've signed a deal with a car
dealership to develop a web site using a searchable, relational database
that dynamically generates web pages from the server: one that can be
completely rebuilt with new data by simply updating the server through MS
Access or what have you.
I'm new to *all* of this (but a very fast study). What approach would be
optimal? ASP? Java? JavaScript? What resources (like this one) specific to
that language do you recommend? What programs? I'd rather avoid CGI since
it's too technical for me, but I guess I could job that out if I had to.
Your suggestions, please! TIA,
BenO