Re: What do I have to do???

by Lara Fabans <lara(at)flashcom.net>

 Date:  Fri, 05 May 2000 19:17:48 -0700
 To:  John Allred <webmaster(at)mscounties.com>,
hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:55 PM 5/5/2000 -0500, John Allred wrote:

>Karen Ahrens wrote:
> >
> > How in the world do you break into this field?
> >

>I wish I could be as optimistic as some of the rest of you, but it's
>hard out here in the sticks. I monitor the HWG-Jobs list, and that is
>incredibly disheartening. All the jobs are in the big cities, all are

I insist on telecommuting only, I'm always booked solid and turning
away customers.  My business website sucks rocks because I don't
have time to update it.

That being said, I have my resume on monsterboard, dice, ework, ants,
and jobs for programmers.

There is a place out of L.A. called Art & Logic that posts on occasion to
www.tjobs.com that is telecommute only for web work, programming, etc.

When I first got started, I searched everywhere on every job board.
telecommuting.about.com (i think that's the right url) helped a lot
as well.

Don't give up.  Don't change your requirements.  I get a call a day from a
recruiter.

Network with us.  I prefer programming and am always looking for more people
to do html.  I try to use people from HWG to refer to my clients who need
graphical
work, or page layout, or html development.

I would love to see an hwg list like Franklebees or freelance where you can
say what you have
and what you're looking for.   I get the impression that the jobs email
list is for jobs and
not subcontract or referral work.

We can change the world one telecommuting contractor at a time.

Lara in Los Gatos, CA