Re: the link border...

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 14 May 2000 15:40:34 +1000
 To:  Ben Russo <benrusso(at)idirect.ca>
 Cc:  Hwg-Techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 00:44 12/05/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Problem number eleven:
>
>Ok, you know that dotted border that goes around any link when you click or
>tab onto it?  I DON'T WANT IT!!!

Tough luck!

*climbs onto soapbox*

This is a user agent issue, not a web design issue and therefore not one
you need worry about.  In fact, it is closely tied to web
accessibility.  It is essential for those who cannot (or don't wish to [if
you type at 120 wpm, any use of the mouse is a waste of productivity]) use
a mouse - how else does a user know which link is currently active?

Yes, it is possible to remove focus from an object, but if that disables
access to your site, then I hope you are only authoring personal pages, not
public sites - AOL is currently fighting reargard action in legal battles
about the poor accessibility of their software :-)

Try pulling your mouse out of it's socket and using the keyboard to surf
around for a while and you'll soon get an understanding of what I'm talking
about.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au