RE: Low end users

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Tue, 16 May 2000 11:33:55 +1000
 To:  Keith Purtell <kpurtell(at)vantagemed.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:55 15/05/00 -0500, Keith Purtell wrote:
>I don't think even the middle users are being well served. Research shows
>that the average person gets irritated if they have to wait more than one
>full second for a Web page to load
>(http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9703a.html), and yet I've heard that the
>typical Web user now waits more than 20 seconds for a page to load. There
>seems to be a huge disconnect between designers and their audience.

I think it depends on "how vital is the information on that page" - that's
a big factor in how long someone will wait.

It also depends upon how the page is written - for example it doesn't
matter how long it takes for a page to finish downloading if the first
screen-full of information is rapidly displayed.

20 seconds surprises me!  I generally abort after 8 seconds.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au