Re: Print Issue

by Roxy <4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:07:45 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:30 PM 8/22/00 -0700, Absolute Web Services wrote:
>It's been a while so here goes. I've got a site that just will not print in
>properly in portrait mode. It prints O.K. in landscape fine. Could y'all
>take a look and give me a rough idea on why? I greatly appreciate your time
>and help. Thank You in advance. Here's the link.
>http://216.147.56.117/venues/serviced.htm
>Frank

Because your graphic design is wider than the printed page.

To make sure things will print in portrait mode, what you want to print has
to stay within about 600 pixels (or somewhere near that number, I don't
remember exactly). Your graphic design is wider than that, so will be
"chopped off" when printing portrait mode. If the text on the page will go
out to the far right edge, then whatever is beyond 600 pixels will be
chopped off, too.

To test the width of print, make a test page with a visible line 590, 600,
610, etc. pixels wide. Print, see where they start getting chopped off.
Unfortunately, there will be variations between printers, too.

Of course, if there is something that is expected to be printed, can make a
2nd "printer friendly page" with *just* the text on it, linked from the
orig. page.

HTH, Roxanne
Autumn Web ~ http://autumnweb.com ~
Not just putting your business on the Web,
Promoting your business on the Web!