RE: Intranet BB - any suggestions?

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:22:47 +1000
 To:  Marjorie MacDonald <mmacdonald(at)del.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  Henry & Amy Boleszny <seaeagle(at)one.net.au>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I like Marge's solution, but I'd present it two pronged:

"What I think you need is *insert database solution* which will cost you
$$$$$, but I can provide *insert Marge's answer* for only $$$$."

That means in 6-12 months time when their users like the system and want
that expanded capability, the upgrade will be necessary because THEY chose
the cheaper option, not because YOU didn't provide an adequate system.

At 11:18 26/09/00 -0400, Marjorie MacDonald wrote:
>Do everything that will need to be filled out and submitted on paper as
>PDF files. Heck, just do all the forms as PDF, whether or not they need
>to be submitted online (you can set them up as forms which submit
>correctly). Then they can download them, print them out, do whatever
>with them. You can have the site passworded, to attempt to keep out
>intruders, and do that in javascript (no server side stuff or database
>needed -- crappy, but something).
>
>Send out an e-mail when the forms change, set up a phone tree so that
>the people who get the message call those who don't so they can make an
>effort to get the new forms. Same with reports -- unless they need to be
>dynamically updated (which I doubt anybody would do anyway) just make
>them PDFs or Word docs.
>
>The whole site is just a list of links, which can be maintained in
>FrontPage. Dead easy... keep the FP extensions, set up a FP bulletin
>board/discussion group for the ones who do use the net.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources,  University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au
Governing Board, HTML Writers Guild, http://www.hwg.org