Re: helping html-illiterate content managers

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:33:59 +1000
 To:  Lady Wistfulee <nospammerstowistfulee(at)millenicom.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 23:23 3/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>While I understand the "comfort" that html-illiterates feel when using a
>WYSIWYG editor like Front Page, I cringe when I see what it does to my
>pretty validated code.  The last barrier at work to allowing us at work to
>use the editor of our choice is that once the site is finished, it gets
>turned over to html-illiterate content managers who must add and delete
>content.

I think you need to consider Dreamweaver.  It has some very nice functions
for group use of web pages.  Specifically you can define HTML templates
which HTML pages are then built upon, the BIG advantage being sections of
code LOCKED so they cannot be edited.  This way you can leave the content
fields free but limit their access to things they shouldn't touch.

Also the "WYSIWYG rearrangement of valid code" feature of Front Page is
nowhere near as severe in Dreamweaver.

>We are dealing with IE & NN version 4+ sites...I want to use validated HTML
>with CSS1, but am encountering resistance.  Is there a way to make a
>page/site in the editor of one's choice (non-WYSIWYG, but not Notepad), &
>still make it easy for HTML-illiterates (who are not in the process now, nor
>will ever want to try, learning HTML) to add/delete content without either
>freaking them out, or destroying validated code?  & how can I explain this
>so the diehard in the department (with seniority) won't feel attacked?
>I made a validated page today, & then stuck it in FP (as per current
>policy), & it stripped out end tags & non-breaking spaces & other horrendous
>things!  This can't go on!

Before and after screen-captures of the screwed up results viewed in
Netscape work well :-)

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au