Re: I don't know what I want, but this isn't it ...

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:14:36 +1000
 To:  David Clapper <dclapper(at)clioassociates.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:55 12/10/00 -0700, David Clapper wrote:
>I'm working with a company that has an existing website (inTERnet,
>not inTRAnet).  A number of folks (internal to the company) have
>mentioned that they find the site hard to navigate.  When asked
>for specifics, or how to improve it, they aren't able to give
>a response.

One thing to keep in mind is that an "intTERnet" is for external use as
well as internal use.  Perhaps the site has been well designed for
customers, but the information that employees need is hidden away and hard
to find.

The University of Melbourne's approach to pleasing different groups of
users was to provide different starting menus depending on whether you were
a student, staff, or a visitor:

http://www.unimelb.edu.au/

This doesn't address what their problem is, but may provide a different
perspective on the problem.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au