Re: online stores and security.

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:07:05 -0500
 To:  Mike Taylor <lonewolf(at)one.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:08 AM 10/18/00 -0400, Mike Taylor wrote:
>I think he's overreacting.  How do those of you out there handle your
>order confirmation pages?  What we always did (up until yesterday) was
>display the information as a confirmation for the customer's benefit and
>record keeping.  We also send them an email confirmation (we do the online
>confirmation for immediacy).  I can't imagine a circumstance where someone
>could retrieve someone's credit card information being displayed back to
>the client on a secure server.

Yes, that would concern me if I saw *confidential* and *secure* information
printed right back at me. I don't really do e-commerce, but the one service
I do use generally identifies only the last four digits of the card on the
confirmation page.

And, the grocery store receipts here in the Chicago, IL, USA area also
print out something like xxx-xxx-xxxx-1234

It has been my experience, in general, if you have one person upset enough
to actually contact you with the complaint, then you probably have more
that might have been concerned and just decided not to use your service any
more.

Just a thought,
Tamara