Re: Prefer Netscape (was: Lies, Damned Lies & Statistics)

by Roxy <4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Wed, 01 Nov 2000 17:55:01 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I'm curious to know why you are a diehard Netscape user.  Not to argue
>or anything but I just wondered if it is because of the features, just
>anti MS or ???   I know of others who 'love' Netscape so I do try to
>make my pages at least work in Netscape 4.

Once upon a time ago, Netscape was King and the browser numbers were
reversed. There are many of us on the 'net that remember that! And, we also
know HOW those numbers got reversed, and it had to do with the reason MS
got sued.

Why I like NN

I feel the bookmarks are much easier to edit than IE. I have over 5200
bookmarks, all in folders sorted by topic/subject. Some folders are inside
other folders as well - breaking down the main topics into subtopics. I can
even copy a bookmark and put it in two folders if needed. I find is much
easier in Netscape than it is in IE. Granted, IE 5 made it a bit better, IE
4's bookmark system was not great at all.

Netscape doesn't allow basic HTML coding errors. Table errors will cause a
no-show table. I can see that and correct it right away. I see too many
pages where the background image loads and nothing else. I love it when
they are my customer's competitors sites -) They've lost a percentage of
visitors/customers!

I don't know what someone who hates Netscape (for not allowing you to have
coding errors) will do if they ever have to use XML ... it does not allow
for ANY errors -- tags that are opened MUST be closed - no if's, and's or
but's! I suppose they will hate XML as well.

When looking at a page and I see a link that I want to check out, but can't
right this second, I can right click on that link and choose "add
bookmark". It puts the link at the bottom of my bookmark list, I can visit
it later.
Can't do that in IE.

I have yet to lay out a page structure, have it look exactly the way I want
it to, and NOT have IE view it exactly the same. If it looks good/right in
Netscape, I know IE is covered. (BTW, I won't use ANYbody's proprietary
coding.)
Can't do that in IE.

I use Communicator with the built-in editor (though I don't use that for
editing my pages) because often I am at a site that has information that I
want/need to print. BUT the site was designed with white text on a black
background (or similar color mix) and it won't print. I can choose 'Edit',
open that page in the editor, change the page's properties to white
background, black text, and go ahead and print. 5 clicks and I have what I
want.
Can't do that in IE.

I can view, search and edit NN's History File. Lets say I was at a site 3-4
days ago, and get asked about that topic, or something has come up
regarding that topic, or I just think about it, and decide I want to go
back there. BUT, I can't remember it's URL, or name, or whatever. One click
in the browser will open up the history file, I scroll to the date of three
days ago, and look through the list of URLs I visited. It shows URL, page
title, and a few other things that would be helpful for me to recognize the
place I was at. Then, when found, can click on that item, and my browser
will take me there. It is a very handy feature.
Can't do that in IE.

Granted, Netscape doesn't handle CSS well. It will handle basic CSS, but
not complicated CSS. That's okay. Because of the AOL modified IE browser,
(and there is 100 ga-zillion of THOSE people! AND you'd be surprised at the
number of AOL customers still using version 3's and 4's!) one needs to keep
a degree of KISS anyway, or risk those people seeing a badly formatted
page/site, maybe loose those potential visitors/customers, too.

Roxy
Not just putting your business on the Web
Promoting your business on the Web!
Autumn Web ~  http://autumnweb.com/
Specialize: unique, custom graphic design;
small business design / development / promotion