Re: Two identical strings not equaling each other

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:31:50 +1100
 To:  Kathy Mazur <farsidehereat4(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Drat - I successfully logged in, so I can't repeat it until the session
times out :-)

At 20:01 7/11/00 +0000, Kathy Mazur wrote:
>How can "objRS(1)" not be equaling "password"?

I'm afraid your server is correct.  The passwords are not equal!!

Incorrect password: "asdf"
Correct password: "asdf                "

The extra whitespace is condensed by the browser - which is why they
"appear" to be the same.  A quick view of your source code shows the
tell-tale spaces!

For some reason your password and userid have been extended (via the
addition of spaces) to the full length of those database fields.  I guess
you could either change the appropriate database parameter, or use the
trim() command to remove extra white-space.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au