Re: Homesite (was RE: DreamWeaver 3.0 vs. DreamWeaver 4.0)

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:27:17 -0600
 To:  "Raymond Mosley" <rmosley(at)sprynet.com>,
"Lisa" <nstar92(at)bellatlantic.net>,
<allred(at)its.state.ms.us>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:28 PM 1/24/01 -0500, Raymond Mosley wrote:
>Well, I hope so, but why would they? I'm betting they're going to let
>Homesite whither in order to push Dreamweaver.

I hope not and I don't think it would make a lot of sense. The prices are
far too different and the products serve different *niches.* DW, for me, is
a serious outlay of cash. I have it on my list, but it's going to have to
stay there until the next check comes in.

Also, HomeSite was up and running for me almost immediately. I was very
comfortable with the program. I did a trial run of DW a couple years ago,
and while I truly appreciate it, I know it will take a while to learn. I
really don't imagine it will have that out-of-the-box functionality of HS.
And, in some ways, it shouldn't since it is more expensive. I would expect
more features and more things to learn.

Now, since I don't have DW, I can only imagine that the two would
complement each other and DW would build on the functionality of HS while
allowing me to further automate some of the tasks that this reformed
hand-coder no longer has the patience to do in notepad.

I seriously considered waiting on the HS purchase until I could afford DW.
But it was that out-of-the-box feature that swayed me. I can use HS /now/,
I can eventually do another DW trial and buy it when I can afford it and
then learn it while /using/ HS. So, I really hate paying for something that
could have been included, but the value was the immediate result.

FWIW,
Tamara
(thanks again Stephane)