Re: How to define multiple CSS pseudo-classes?

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:29:37 -0600
 To:  Dane Robison <dane(at)strategic-design.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:10 AM 3/6/01 -0500, Dane Robison wrote:
>H1.red {  color: #ff0000}
>H1.blue {  color: #0000ff}

In here Dane, I would define h1 so it could be used anywhere. Then I would
have .red so when I wanted h1 in red, I would use h1 class="red". For me,
it's easier to keep track of because I may decide down the road to have red
text, and then p class="red"  or td class="red" would work too and I
wouldn't have to update the CSS with a new class.

>...but I'm at a loss as to how I can apply this sort of technique to anchor
>tags. I tried these class selectors (in addition to the usual a:link):
>
>a:link.onblack
>a.onblack:link

Why not? Other than that there's no other definition in your example, they
should work:

a.onblack:link { color:black}
then a class="onblack" href="somepage.html" should turn the link text black

Also, if you're ever curious about whether or not a CSS class will work,
try the w3c validator and click to CSS -- it will analyze your css, tell
you what's wrong and then print out a lovely, valid sheet -- just be
careful with the *valid* sheet, if you did something wrong, it will throw
it out. But there have been many, many times when the CSS validator has
saved a handful or two of hair.

<Tamara />