Re: background images for tables

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:24:55 -0600
 To:  "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)fredonia.edu>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:17 AM 3/8/01 -0500, Michael Gerholdt wrote:
>you are shooting for valid HTML.
>
>You can use CSS for this.
>
>However, NN 4.x does not support background images in tables from style
>sheets.
>[...]
>Can someone speak to this regarding use of background images in tables? Any
>resources that document this?

Mike,

Some versions of NN will display background images in tables if you're
very, very careful as to how you implement the CSS. NN does not respect
images in the table tag as a table class=image, but if you repeat it in the
cell tag, some versions will pick it up. Although then you have the
ugliness of the tile and you /must/ be careful with zeroing out the borders
and so forth in the table.

I also know of someone who finally managed to work around NN's table
problems by using the @import for the style sheet. I'm not sure how she did
it exactly, or if she just used colors instead of images for NN browsers.
In some ways, why go to such lengths for NN if it's a small percentage of
viewers. I want stuff to look presentable in NN, but given the market, I've
stopped beating myself about the head as I try to get it *exactly right* in
all browsers -- I mean, it's not gonna happen anyway.

My latest favorite link for testing CSS:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_examples.asp

FWIW,
<Tamara />