Re: Image tracking

by Roxanne Flanagan <hwg-rmf(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:40:43 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Nancy Whittley wrote:
>I just found out that a website has been using my images on their site.. not
>by stealing them, but by linking to them.  Is there a way to monitor my site
>to see if my images are being used elsewhere?
>My stats really don't show that much.

If you're looking for the information to be able to tell when someone is
directly linking to images on your server, that information comes from my
web host/server. They provide what is called 'referrer logs'. Those show me
both where visitors came from, and, which web pages images (on my server)
are displayed on. It is up to me to look through the list though.

So you would have to see if your web host provides that information, not
all do. And certainly none of the free web hosts do. If your site does have
raw access-logs, they may have referrer logs as well, just ask them.

On my website, I show an example of the stats and referrer logs that my web
host gives
http://autumnweb.com/Stats/AWSYXMP10341referrer.html
It's the 5th example down (examples are in black text, my description and
explanation of the info is in blue text).

If you want to see what kind of stats my host, Web Axxs,
http://www.webaxxs.net gives, you can start here (or go look at their website)
http://autumnweb.com/Stats/AWSYXMPstats.html

For my "free personal use graphics, I *strongly* discourage people directly
linking to my images with this example of what they may find on their
website ...
http://autumnweb.com/Roxys/theft.html

And, have a page that explains direct linking and bandwidth theft for those
that don't understand that it's wrong ...
http://autumnweb.com/Roxys/directlinking.html

If you've had people come to the site and collect all your images, save
them to their computer to upload and use elsewhere ... unfortunately,
there's not much you can do about that. You can visibly watermark or
digitally mark the images, so that you can find them on the 'net. Digimark
is one company that has that software/service, but they're not exactly cheap.

HTH, Roxanne

Not just making your business site on the Web,
Marketing your business on the Web!
Autumn Web ~  http://autumnweb.com/
free Tutorials/Web Page Help +free personal use graphics/wallpaper