Web design = UI + everything that supports it

by Chris Hawkins <netmaker2(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:53:13 -0700
 To:  "Evelyn Hunter" <boots(at)aloha.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
OK, I've got to jump in here too.

I am NOT in the entertainment business, and   I am a "web designer." !!

Visual design should SUPPORT information and a great guidance system, or
UI.  I don't know what all the fuss is about.

You can have terrible UI and pretty pages, which is what most of you are
alluding to.

But, you can have great UI, and a good guidance system, and a visually
pleasing page to boot.  BUT the "pleasing" part on a good site is not art
for art's sake, but visuals that **help** the user and support where I want
to go.  Visuals should be FUNCTIONAL.

The word "design" is the crux of the issue.  Web design is much more than
visual design.  Visual design should always be there to support
functionality and content, first and foremost.  That is, if you want to be
successful.  And it can look great at the same time.

That's why I like to call myself A Web Architect, or User Interface
Designer, even though I'm a graphic designer and writer, to avoid the
confusion.  If you focus on user integration first, all the rest falls into
place.   If you want a successful site, usability is important, and yes, we
could learn a lot from Jakob nielsen.

That doesn't mean the site should be ugly or laid out poorly.

A more interesting topic of discussion might be: which websites have visual
designs that work, that support the user!!