Re: forms

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:41:15 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "G.Morel" <algemies(at)mindspring.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:39 AM 29/01/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>         Although I already asked a similar question, and I thankfull for=
 the
>advised given, I am still having a problem with my form.  My Problem is how
>can I make the form to disappear after the individual has  press submit?;
>meaning how can I give another page when submit has been press?.  Right=
 now,
>it just stay on the form when you press submit.

Hi Jollie,

You will need to use a CGI script of some kind to do this and I strongly=20
advise you do not use the "mailto:" hack as the action for your form=20
because it is non-standard and unreliable in many ways.  The first thing is=
=20
that not all browsers support it and even with browsers that support it,=20
this will start up the user's mail client (if it's not already running)=20
which may annoy many people and you still have to rely on their willingness=
=20
to hit the send button in their mail programs once the data has been=20
transferred to it... All in all, using the "mailto:" method/hack is just=20
calling for trouble and should never be relied upon for mission critical=20
situations.

As others before me have told you, you will need to install a CGI script on=
=20
your server to handle to mailing of the data and the redirection of the=20
users to a different page.  Many good free ones exist and you can find two=
=20
good examples at the following URLs:

http://www.bignosebird.com/carchive/bnbform.shtml (that's the one I use on=
=20
UNIX systems)
http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/formmail.shtml (another popular one=20
for UNIX)

If you are on a NT host then it's easy to set up a sendmail script in ASP=20
and your host may already provide one (Softcom does:=20
www.softcomca.com).  The detail of the ASP script will be different and=20
will depend on the mail component installed on your particular server.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron