Re: I want to get away from frames

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:57:31 -0800
 To:  raidermp(at)CLDS.NET,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thomas-

Not to be snide... but this have definitely been answered in the archives...

To answer the question though-

It basically comes down to site management tools in your development
environment. If you don't want to use CGI, Perl, PHP, etc.. Look at:

1. the concept of Templates in Dreamweaver
2. the concept of Server Side Includes (SSI) in Apache (and other web servers?)
3. Frontpage has 'sidebars' and its own includes
4. I would imagine that any full featured (read more expensive than
Notepad, or Notetab (the best text editor out there IMO ) development
environment would be able to do something like the above.

For the non-programmer who wants to use Notepad, or a development tool that
does not have site management tools to do includes, SSI is a good choice.
Low on the programming needed and does the job. Plus if you use Dreamweaver
it will allow you to view the page correctly AND use SSI.

Have Fun-
Stephen Johnston