Re: Relational Databases

by Dave Gorjup <dgorjup(at)mediaone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Apr 2000 19:37:02 -0400
 To:  "HWG techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I get the feeling that I don't understand some of the terminology being
used here, esp db transparency, but if you're worried about not seeing the
underlying code don't use CF Studio for your development. I'm learning to
talk to the CF Express server using Notepad. The cf tags are embedded
within your html code and look much like sql but with much less complexity.
As someone previously mentioned, what takes 10 lines of code with ASP can
take only 3 or 4 with CF. Of course I'm using the free Express server which
doesn't have all the functionality of its big brother but its more than
enough to satisfy my corporate intranet needs.
Also, CF doesn't generate the pages that are ultimately shown to the user.
CF server sends the requested data to a template html file and the web
server sends it to the user.
Apologies if I'm not understanding the discussion. I'm still learning this
web db stuff.
Regards,
Dave G.

At 03:21 PM 4/7/00 +0000, you wrote:
 ><stephen>I just want people to realize that CF is not the answer
for >database transparency, it is really good coding and knowledge of
the >cross DB capabilities exposed by ODBC that allow for this</stephen>

 >I have been looking into the possibility of working with HTML
generated >from databases for some time and following this discussion has
been a >great help to me- thankyou everyone.

 >I like the idea of database transparency aluded to in the above
posting. >I've been looking at using Cold Fusion (as someone said, the $500
price >tag for just the development kit is fine if you can recover it in
time savings >later) but I don't want to surrender control (or
understanding) of the >processes going on underneath. For much the same
reasons I don't use >Home Site. In order to get my head round this database
thing I think I am >finally going to have to bite the bullet and learn more
about SQL. I'm pretty >hot on Access and general relational database
theory, but have no idea >whatsoever how to use SQL.

 >Does anyone have any good suggestions for online tutorials etc.?
 >
 >Any other related information I need to look for? (I'm considering
taking >the long route, like Ben Ocean, and using PHP and MySQL)

 >TIA
 >
 >-Matt
 >
 >PS- Go easy on me with the tutorials- I'm new to this. Just a foot on
the >ladder is all I need to start with.