Re: Relational Databases

by Dave Gorjup <dgorjup(at)mediaone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Apr 2000 23:01:05 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Stephen,
Thanks for your explanation. Between you and Brian (who also answered about
transparency) I'm beginning to get a handle on db connectivity. I wish the
books could explain it as simply as y'all can.

Regarding good books - I recently upgraded to MS Office 2000 and wanted to
get a handle on the changes in Access. After much agonizing over texts, I
found Que's "Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2000". Not only info on
ODBC but also on where MS is going with dropping Jet and implementing a
subset of SQL7 called MDE (Microsoft Database Engine) into Access 2000.
Tread lightly here, MDE 1.0 and all the related stuff like ADP and DAP is
nice to see but nowhere near production ready. They're really pushing web
connectivity to new levels here. They're also pushing acronyms to new
heights :~o
Thanks,
Dave G.