Re: 8080

by Landis <lreed(at)surfmi.net>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:03:53 -0500
 To:  Hale Bopp <b0rd0p(at)juno.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
It is a WebSocks Port. You are able to dictate any port number you choose
on your server. It only refers to a Numeric "Port" to listen to. Typically
80 and 8000 and 8080 are used for HTTP. It's like any systems/programming
name convention, if you use close to the same they can be recognized for
what they are quickly.

At 11:05 AM 3/20/00 -0600, Hale Bopp wrote:
>Fellow coders,
>
>I hope this is an appropriately asked query. I debated asking the list
>for fear it might be deemed trivial or irrelevant (egads!). But I'm
>stumped. What is the meaning of an 8080 suffix on some URL's? I know that
>80 is a common HTTP port. And there have only been 2 or 3 sites I've seen
>that incorporate the 8080 into their address (namely, the NSA). What I've
>noticed is that none of these sites require the browser to type it into
>the location bar; instead, it is auto-completed for them.
>
>I would just like to know what that 8080 means?!?! Is it security
>related?
>
>Hope someone won't mind shedding some light...
>
>TIA!
>Jay
>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Thanks,
L@ndis
lreed(at)Surfmi.net
"According to MS Tech Support, I'm "The Only One Having The Problem". Figures."