Re: Questions about Keywords...

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:48:20 -0700
 To:  WBass3(at)aol.com
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi, WBass3;

At 09:46 PM 4/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>1)  When submitting to search engines.. have you found that the more keywords
>the better? or do S.E.'s frown on that?  My theory is.. as long as the
>keywords are in relation to your site.. the more the better to increase
>hits...Unlike Porn sites where they put any keyword to increase their hits..
>  your thoughts?
Correct. Look at it from *their* perspective. See answer to #3.

>2)  Does anyone know how to set up a site as an AOL Keyword?   Or become a
>member of the GO Network?   Several companies and sites have accomplished
>this, and I have asked AOL myself..  but they didnt really answer my
>question...  What do i do??
Wish I could help, but I have no answer. Good luck!

>3)  What are some common no-no's when submitting to search engines.  What are
>some "yes yes's"...

Rule Of Thumb: Help them serve their clients. Remember, the SE's aren't in
business to make you money. They're in business to facilitate the searches
of their users (which helps them sell advertising and makes *them* money).
As a result, their algorithms are written- and constantly rewritten- to
protect webmasters who are trying to take advantage of *the system*. These
are called spamdexers. Whatever they do, you want to avoid so that you
don't get associated with their kind. They load up their pages with
irrelevant keywords. They stuff their pages with the same keyword over and
over (or, used to, until the algorithms got rewritten). They use gateway
pages that, from a usability perspective, are irrelevant and burdensome. In
other words, think how you would serve their clients and not look like a
spamdexer. Follow this *Golden Rule* and that will be all the guidance you
need 90% of the time. HTH,
BenO