Re: 3-D Programming Logic

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Apr 2000 05:33:44 -0700
 To:  Romek Zylla <zylla(at)ck-sg.p.lodz.pl>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:57 PM 4/16/2000 -0100, you wrote:
> >This flaw is inherent in the fact that current programming logic is
> >2-dimensional. The *IF* *THEN* *ELSEIF* logic needs another alternative.
>
>   In several languages there is  CASE  statement
>   which allow for many alternatives.

Can you elaborate? What does a CASE statement do, and what languages
support it?

> >When I have 3 nested *IF* statements, there needs to be an alternative path
> >that allows for not satisfying the 2nd statement but satisfying the 1st and
> >3rd. This would do away with the aforementioned redundancy.
>
>   You need kind of scoring for meeting every condition.
>   And you have to set treshold for which the overall
>   target condition is met.
>   Say  if you score 2 of three points the solution wins.

Interesting concept! How does this work? Can you give me an example in PHP?

> >Is there such a language? Such a language would be 3-dimensional by nature.
> >The mind, of course, works this way. Is anyone working on such a
> language? TIA,
>
>   There is no need for such new language.
>   Fuzzy logic can be implemented in almost
>   any programming language.

Can you elaborate what is fuzzy logic and how it differs from the
one-dimensional (linear) logic you ascribe to today's programming? Again,
can you give an example in PHP? TIA,
BenO