Re: Many questions--mostly CSS

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Jun 2000 02:55:54 -0700
 To:  Gardenia Willoughby <gardenia(at)mac.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:16 AM 6/12/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>My company's website was in disarray, so I started from scratch--my first
>real project.  The temporary URL is
>http://homepage.mac.com/gardenia/Frames.html, and I have a list of my
>first few questions.
>
>2)  In order to get the disclaimer at the bottom of the first page down to a
>reasonable size in IE, I had to make the font 70% size, which is almost too
>small to read in NN.  What to do?

Use absolute point sizes in pixels instead (i.e., *20px*)

>3)  At the end of each section in the Advisory page, I give the option to
>e-mail us for more info, just using mailto:.  Is there any way to know where
>they clicked from?

Yes. Code a little JavaScript as an onClick event handler. Fill in the
*Subject* line of the email. If you need help with that, e-mail me or the list.

>Unfortunately (and for reasons that I haven't been able
>to overcome) we only have one e-mail address for all six of us, so I can't
>use different addresses in each place.

What a pain in the arse!

>4) On the main page (that has the five boxes), the box headings won't
>center.  In my style sheet I've used
>
>tr.one {
>     color: #FFFFFF ;
>     font-family: Capitals ;
>     font-size: 125% ;
>     text-align: center ;
>     width: 33.3% ;
>}

You could place the text absolutely with a
tr.one1 { position: absolute; top: xxx; left: xxx }
statement. Perhaps not as elegant as you would like, but it will work ;-)

>5) In the disclaimers at the bottom of the main, securities, and Michael G.
>Wendlandt pages, the font size of "Member NASD/SIPC/Registered Investment
>Advisor" must be two points smaller than the surrounding text.  All I could
>come up with was to enclose that phrase in <.font size="-2"><./font>, which
>doesn't seem to work.  It does in some places, but not in others.

Of course, if you use absolute pixel sizes this won't be an issue. I seem
to recall being able to apply terms like *big* and *small* using CSS, but
can't put my finger on it immediately. No doubt one of the other 20
will provide you that information ;-)

>6) My last question has to do with frames and non-frames versions.  I know
>that some people hate frames, so at the bottom of the navigational frame
>I've put an option to view the non-frames version.  The main page on that
>version has an option to go back to the frames version.  But after that, I
>drop the option of returning to the frames version.  Should I bother with
>any of this?

I wouldn't. It depends how you do your frames. If they're elegant, I don't
believe most people would object.

>The other side of this coin is for browsers that don't support
>frames.

Statistically speaking, people surfing with *other* than NN4+ or IE4+
account for less than 2% of surfers. Why bother?

>I've put the main page in my <.noframes> tag with links to MS and
>NN for a new browser--is that dumb?

No, but who's gonna go do it because they see your button? I wouldn't waste
the real estate. After all, you're trying to sell something on your site, I
presume? Or conduct some business function exclusive of pushing new browsers?

>I really appreciate the time that everyone takes to help everyone else, and
>I look forward to being able to return the favor--when I catch up to the
>rest of you!

Well, I appreciate returning the favor too! HTH,
BenO