Re: How Much More Time Does Iterative Designing Take?

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2000 05:46:10 -0700
 To:  Mike Berke <mberke(at)eznet.net>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:56 AM 6/13/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Ben Ocean wrote:
> >
> > Hi all;
> > How much more time does usability engineering and the subsequent
> > reiterative designing take? I am placing a bid before a rather large
> > national company tomorrow to develop their web site and I want to factor
> > this into the bid. TIA,
> > BenO
>
>Ben,
>
>It is not possible to give a numerical answer for your question without
>more information (complexity of site, number of expected iterations,
>etc.)  I think you get the idea.  But I would suggest you write some
>conditions into your bid.
>
>Put in time limits for the turn-around of iterations.  Let your client
>have a number of days to "play" with your work before they must put in
>the request for the next iteration.

Oh, now *that's* an idea! I was thinking about testing it myself (hiring
people to navigate the site like customers), but sure, let's involve the
client in the testing too!

>Give yourself enough time to complete and TEST each iteration.
>
>Do you want to limit the number of iterations?

Well, if involving the client, we'd better.

>Do you want to charge for iterations after a certain number?

More profit? Like the way you think ;-)

>Put in payment milestones (certain deliverables trigger payments).

Of course.

>Good luck!!

Thanks! Thanks for your great suggestions ;-)