RE: domain names...

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:13:46 -0700
 To:  <mdowden(at)vvonline.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:49 AM 7/17/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>yes, add this line to your .htaccess file
>
>ErrorDocument 404 http://www.yourdomain.com/yourcustomized404file.html

So, make a customized 404 Error page with a meta refresh to take them to
the new site? Let's say one has the following scenario:
mysite.com/directory/
and wishes to change it to the following 3rd level domain:
directory.mysite.com
Could one place a 404 Error message in the .htaccess *unique to* that
particular directory, such that *only* those hitting that directory (and/or
subdirectories within that directory) would be re-routed with the meta
refresh? I was under the impression that one could only have *one* 404
Error message in the .htaccess, but I really don't know much about this.
TIA,
BenO