Re: domain names...

by Paul Lochbihler <plochbihler(at)cinnabar.ca>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:00:16 -0400
 To:  "Ben Russo" <i.am.ben(at)sympatico.ca>,
"HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is a matter of setting up your ( or your ISP) DNS records to list
those other sites as sub domains( anothersite) to your parent domain (
mysite.com). This builds a DNS record for the entry anothersite.mysite.com.

A good starting point is www.acmebw.com
and the book from O'Reilly (www.ora.com) DNS and BIND.

Depending on who is hosting the site, you or an ISP will dictate who has to
do what and the costs.

HIH

Paul

At 07:13 PM 7/16/00 -0700, Ben Russo wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>My next personal project involves joining all my self-run sites into one
>mega site.  The site I'm building now will be the main site that has stuff
>about me and my stuff (I'm a portfolio-needing student in case you're
>wondering, so I want a site where people can check out my stuff...).  All
>the other sites I have (my business, my school, the sites I'm building and
>hosting) will be on the same hosting account in different directories.  If
>you don't understand what I mean, sorry.
>
>What I want to know is how can I change "www.mysite.com/anothersite" to
>"anothersite.mysite.com"?  I know it's not a html or coding thing, but I'm
>sure one of you must know the ways of the hosting people...
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ben

Paul Lochbihler
Network Security Analyst