Re: Netscape frames problem

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Tue, 04 Apr 2000 22:26:01 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:02 AM 04/04/00, you wrote:
>Netscape 6 is being rebuilt from the ground up.  Do not expect anything
>like the previous browsers.  Because of this, there are some problems
>that we, as developers, should be prepared for.  Such as, many of the
>sites I work on use browser-detects to determine whether or not the user
>is using IE or Netscape.  This is done to optimize the layout for each
>browser.  What happens when Netscape 6 comes out and doesn't work
>anything like it's predecessors?  Guess I'll have to add a version
>detect to my code as well.  Something to think about anyway.

Some Mozilla people are suggesting that, when NN6 comes out, the
browser-detect code treat NN4 like NN3.  Along with greater compliance with
standards, NN6 will drop Netscape-proprietary features, so it will behave a
lot more like IE5 than like NN4.  Also, I expect NN4 users to very quickly
switch to NN6, which will make it less important to accommodate NN4's foibles.

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/