RE: IE 5.5

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Apr 2000 16:55:15 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Besides releasing a new beta of IE5.5 this week, Microsoft is reported to
be releasing a new beta - possibly the final beta - of Windows Millennium
next week.

As for Microsoft not pushing IE5.5 or Millennium.  I think that Microsoft
will push 5.5 only when it becomes available.  Also, Millenium is not much
different from Win98se, so I expect that its major impact will be on new PCs.

Finally, all of this is subject to what happens in the DOJ court case.  If
the court decides, for example, that a version of Millennium must be
produced that does not include IE, this could be a major problem for
Microsoft:  it would have to support an amputated code base which could
create havoc with many apps.

At 02:38 PM 04/07/00, you wrote:
>I probably would have been inclined to agree with you, if it weren't for the
>fact that ( it appears ) Microsoft isn't really pushing this release.  I
>didn't see any info on the main page, or the "more news" section.  It's not
>listed in the download center, yet there is a headline of it on MSDN.  Not
>exactly what I would call hard core marketing...
>
> > Hi Peter,
> > I think it's not a hazard if MS launch an updated version of his browser
> > almost the same day as NN 6 :-)

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/