Re: Search and replace for XHTML

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:45:01 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have used two methods of converting HTML to XHTML.

I have used Tidy, available from the W3C site.  The problems with this are
that (a) it destroys indentation, (b) it gets confused with nested quotes,
(c) it inserts a line at the top of the file that is rendered in older
browsers, (d) it fails to convert many standard attribute values from
uppercase to lowercase (e.g., it produces 'align="CENTER"' instead of
'align="center", and finally, (e) it is a DOS program.  So a lot of fixing
up is necessary.

I have also used NoteTab Pro (the latest version).  The problems with this
are that (a) like Tidy, it fails to convert many standard attribute values
to lowercase, (b) it works on only one file at a time, (c) it makes a lot
of errors, e.g., fails to put the '/' 'attribute' in many tags having no
end tags, or puts a '/' when it is not necessary, and (d) it fails to add
missing end tags.  Again, a lot of fixing up is necessary.

I have found that there is less manual fixing-up with NoteTab Pro.

- Regards, Chuck Upsdell

At 04:12 PM 04/10/00, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Having heard all about the wonderful search and replace utilities in Homesite
>and Arachnophillia, is there any way of using them, or another utility, to
>convert HTML to XHTML???  I don't particularly want to recode my entire site
>by hand.
>
>Also has anyone figured how to make Dreamweaver 3 writh XHTML??  I know it's
>extensible, but is this possible???
>
>Thanks,
>Peter.

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/