Re: techniques in use today and tomorrow

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Thu, 18 May 2000 08:31:01 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:24 AM 05/18/2000 -1000, Lady Wistfulee wrote:
>When perusing a jobs site I came across listing after listing that specified
>an unholy list of skills expected in a "web designer", the most flagrant
>expectations were from one company that listed its expectations as follows:
>"...experience with the following:

Yikes!

>As a relative newbie, how can I hope to learn, much less master all of that
>without giving up the rest of all my waking hours devoted to learning such
>an immense body of material??

Simple... you don't!  ;-)  Determine what you like to do, what you are good
at and excel at it.  There is no humanly way possible that anyone can do
all that - and if they can, they are very rare and can write their own
ticket (they also don't have a life - and we all want a life, having a life
is good).  The deal with this gig is many employers just throw up buzz
words - they have no idea that there are separate and distinct disciplines
involved.  From local newspapers to online job sites, I see descriptions of
folks that most likely don't exist all the time.

So, do what you enjoy and want to excel at and partner with folks who can
fill the gaps. Even after you narrow your focus, you still be learning
every day - and if you enjoy learning and the quest for knowledge, the
Internet is a wonderful thing!  ;-)

/j