Re: fixed links column with scrolling main body

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Mon, 22 May 2000 12:04:30 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:21 PM 21/05/00 -1000, you wrote:
>HI...
>I have a site I am in the process of planning & I wanted to use a=
 background
>graphic that has a border on the left side.  This is where I want to put=
 the
>links...but here's the catch...I want the text in the main body of the page
>to scroll...but I want the links to stay where they are in the side portion
>of the page...I do not want to use frames...I want the links (I was going=
>use text links with a different font than the body, instead of using
>button/graphic links)--fixed like the background attachment.  This site
>though...has to be geared to version 3+ browsers.  Is this possible, or do=
>have to let the whole thing scroll?

You'll have to let it scroll if you're targeting 3.0+ browsers as the only=
=20
way to do this aside from frames is DHTML and that won't work in 3.0=20
browsers.  You should be able to program it in a way that the navigation=20
doesn't scroll in 4.0 and up but does in 3.0 and lower browsers though.

Actually you could look at the code that drives this page:=20
http://www.glassdog.com/homepage/index.html  It does exactly what you want=
=20
and looks OK in NN 3.04.  You can check his Web design tutorials here:=20
http://glassdog.com/design-o-rama/index.html  maybe he explains how to do=20
the scroll thing but I can't say since I haven't looked at them myself=20
yet.  If not you could always look at http://www.projectcool.com/ or=20
http://www.dhtmlzone.com/ or any of the other JavaScript or DHTML related=20
sites out there.

HTH!