Re: validation confusion

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)>

 Date:  Tue, 23 May 2000 23:53:04 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:32 PM 23/05/00 -1000, you wrote:
>I use an editor that comes with HTML Tidy (updated version April 2000) &=
>other validation tools for CSS & the WDG validator.
>I validated my pages with HTML Tidy, & after correcting a few things, it
>found no errors.  I had/have a DTD of HTML 4.0 transitional, but Tidy said
>it validated as 4.01.
>1. Do I need to change the DTD?

Hi Lady,

I use the 4.01 Transitional DTD myself now and unless you move to XHTML=20
that's what I'd suggest you use too.

>2. The WDG validator says that I may not use valign=3D"bottom"..."bottom"
>being not valid, but w3c's specs for both 4.0 & 4.01 list those attributes,
>& I didn't see anything about them being what's the real
>scoop on this?

VALIGN is a valid attribute for the TD element, not the IMG element.  You=20
should use ALIGN=3D"bottom" in an image, not VALIGN so the WDG validator is=
right in this case.  The only validator I trust myself is the W3C Validator=
but I also check my code locally using CSE HTML Validator Pro=20
(  Tidy is also an excellent syntax checker=
(like CSE, as opposed to a true validator like the W3C's) and can be=20
trusted as well.  Btw, the W3C validator flagged the same error.

>3. (biggest problem) HTML Tidy didn't find anything wrong with my form
>having a "name", but WDG did, & while the form works great,

The NAME attribute for the FORM and IMG elements was only added in the HTML=
4.01 spec, it was invalid for those two elements in the 4.0 spec.  You have=
to use the 4.01 Transitional Doctype in order for the WDG or W3C validators=
not to report those as errors.  Your page has a 4.0 Transitional DTD so you=
should update it to 4.01.

>(at least for
>its intended audience (browsers 4+) & effect supplied), WDG's validator=
>insists I have to use an ACTION with it--if I do...which??

Action is indeed required as per the spec.  You should add a simple # sign=
as the action and also add an onSubmit=3D"return false;" handler in the Form=

St=E9phane Bergeron