RE: Network Solutions changes contract

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Thu, 01 Jun 2000 14:19:59 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello All-

         Actually monopoly law is far more complex than this. Internic
operated as a government sanctioned monopoly and was regulated as such.
Regulated monopolies exist and have existed with government acceptance for
some time. You power company is one, you phone company used to be one, your
gas is one, and your cable as far as I can tell is one. All of these
entities are being faced with deregulation (except maybe gas), some are at
different stages in the process than others.
         Your proposal to control domains with a government entity, though
probably effective, is in essence how the original system was set up. This
is why they are introducing new registrars, to allow for commercial domain
name registration, but in a competitive market. Internic was hobbled in the
price they could set, precisely because they were under charter of the
government. The initial price they set was way low, but there service
sucked and still does. Hopefully competition will change that level of
service while increasing service. We can only hope.

Just my 2c, have a good one.

-Stephen Johnston