Re: programming languages

by SUrOB / NYCZone <leviking(at)worldonline.fr>

 Date:  Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:19:54 +0100
 To:  "JAH" <artsylady(at)home.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:58 14/03/00 -0800, you wrote:

>Here's the thing: I'm in a quandary as what to do about learning a
>programming language.  As far as web presentation goes, I am *extremely* new
>to every aspect of the game.  So far I've taken a beginner's Dreamweaver
>class and the Introduction to HTML 4.0 offered at HWG.  On my own, I've
>tackled Cascading Style Sheets, which I absolutely fell in love with, and
>will pursue with a vengeance! Then, in an effort to reach beyond the
>'beginner's level' of HTML, I've worked through several different HTML
>manuals and online tutorials - and just this morning picked up a new manual
>on the 4.1 standards.

You have choosed the right and the best soft for write pages with code ...

>So now I'm scheduled to take an Introduction course to JavaScript, beginning
>early June, and want desperately to learn as much as I can about _a_
>programming language before jumping right into Java Scripting - but which
>one will be the best for me to learn?  Once I dedicate myself to leaning any
>one particular programming language, I intend to stick with it so I want to
>make sure that I'm making the right choice for the aims I have in mind for
>myself.

You can learn Java (which is not the same thing that javascript)
It depends on what you have, and what you need at your job, id est if
you('ll) work with a server on Unix (Apache) or NT (IIs) ?
If it's with Unix, learn Php (www.php.net), totally free, powerfull and
runs under Unix systems and also on IIs (NT)
If it's with NT, learn asp, not really totally free but also powerfull, but
runs only under IIs (NT)

SUrOB, a member of the group NYCZone
Our mission is to help people to create their own effective web site
Advices & hosting available free on http://www.nyczone.net