Re: Users creating and updating pages .. with cgi only.... how?

by Virginia Blalock <virginia(at)visionsnet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:41:47 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:19 PM 6/28/00 -0500, Mike Kear wrote:
>I have a client who wants to set up  a method for his users to have their
>own pages on his site.  He wants to control the overall "look and feel" of
>the pages, so he wants to have users choose from a range of templates for
>their pages, then enter their own information.
>
>Many of these users will have little or no idea of HTML, but some
>might.  So he wants to restrict users' use of HTML.  Also there's a
>security risk with letting users add HTML to pages.
>
>I'd usually use ColdFusion for this kind of application, but in this case
>we don't have ColdFusion available.  I have to use CGI only.
>
>Anyone have any ideas for how I could do this?  I don't really want to
>have to build a whole script from scratch  the budget's not going to stand
>the cost of that.

Here is a link to a script that lets users create web pages. Not sure if it
would fit what you want exactly, but it may be worth a look.

http://www.inet-images.com/manny/ezhomepg.htm

Here is a link to a live site which lets users make pages

http://www.cust.idl.com.au/boyd/homepages.html

Virginia's Visions
http://www.visionsnet.com