Re: Banner to Order Tracking

by Jeff Diaz <jdiaz(at)ivtech.com>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:40:27 -0400
 To:  "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I can't say that I've done this so I probably shouldn't be answering.  And
my answer may not be what you're looking for, so why am I bothering?  I
don't know.

My first thought was to have the shopping cart trap the IP address and
timestamp for every purchase if it's not already done.  Then (assuming your
website logs are keeping track of this), trace the user session backwards
through the logs to see where they came from, whether it was via a banner
or not.

Another idea would be to set a cookie when the person first enters the site
that contains the referrer or some other code identifying where the user
came from.  Then making note of this when a purchase is made.

Both of these would require some sort of programming or tracking on the
cart server, which you may not be able to do.

Anyway, that was off the top of my head.  Hope it was worth something.

  - Jeff

Jeff Diaz
jdiaz(at)ivtech.com
http://www.jeffdiaz.com/