Re: Passing div object id's to functions

by Eric Anderson <eric_anderson(at)hrsoft.com>

 Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:24:14 -0500
 To:  "John Murray" <jmnc(at)lis.net.au>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi John!

Looking at your code, try putting the following inside your alertthez()
function:

         var zI;
         zI = eval(divid + ".style.zIndex");
         alert(zI);

Since you are passing in 'fred', the function receives a string instead of
an object and thus requires the eval() function to translate that string to
a proper object.  You may have to qualify the string in the eval() function
with "document.all." for IE and "document." for NN (I don't know for
certain).

You could also try changing the function call to

         onClick="alertthez(this);"

in hopes that the browswer will pass the DIV object into the
function.  Then you wouldn't have to change the function contents at all.

Hope this helps,
Eric

At 04:19 PM 10/11/2000 +1000, John Murray wrote:
>I know I'm missing something simple, and probably being lazy, but I start
>from the perspective that the guys who set up DHTML would know we would want
>to do this.
>#####################

<head>
.thedivs {