Re:

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 04 Jun 2000 23:54:11 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:47 PM 04/06/00 -0400, you wrote:
I have everything fixed except for the following, which puzzles me:

>The following is the output from running the  W3C validator;
>--snip---
>Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML=20
>parser.
>=B7       Line 177, column 22:
>   <OL START=3D"1" TYPE=3D"1">
>                         ^
>Error: document type does not allow element "OL" here; missing one of=20
>"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag
>
>--end snip ---
>I am confused about the requirements for an <OL>, why the need for the=20
>mentioned start tags?  I have checked the docs on W3C for HTML=20
>transitional, related FAQ and was lead to the mailing list.

Hi Paul,

The reason the Validator is giving you an error is that you put your whole=
=20
list within a FONT tag.  That is indeed an error.  FONT tags are inline=20
HTML elements and cannot contain block level elements like OL or UL, P,=20
DIV, etc.  This might render as you expect in certain browsers, maybe most=
=20
of the popular ones even but it will probably break in standards compliant=
=20
browsers like NS 6 or Opera 4.   If you want to format the text within the=
=20
lists with FONT tags you'll have to add them inside every list items=20
(LI).    I know it's a pain but I myself have ditched FONT tags a while ago=
=20
and use CSS exclusively now.  Makes my life a lot simpler, makes documents=
=20
smaller and more readable and makes updating a breeze.  I personally don't=
=20
care if people see their default fonts in NS 3.0 and lower and other=20
browsers that don't support CSS.  When I explain the advantages of CSS to=20
clients they usually agree with me too.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron