Re: opening a pdf file in a new window

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:07:57 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:15 AM 09/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm trying to link to a PDF document and in doing so open a new browser
>window to display the PDF. I am using the following code
>
><a HREF=3D"pdf/8.pdf" TITLE=3D"This will open a new browser window - close=
 it to
>return to SIGNet" target=3D"_new">Obesity</a>
>
>On the live site this works as intended. However, I am intending showing a
>demo of the site at a meeting today and require to show a local version of
>the site. Using IE5 the local version opens a new window put does not load
>up the required PDF file. I'm at a loss to explain this.

Probably because the live site's server knows how to send back the pdf data=
=20
with the appropriate mime type while locally things work differently.   I=20
don't know of a way around it except maybe installing a local Web server on=
=20
the demo machine. Btw, the "_new" value you used for the TARGET attribute=20
is invalid HTML and may not be widely supported.  The correct value is=20
"_blank" and is more reliable.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron