RE: Img Borders

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Jun 2000 03:07:22 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Craig S. Kiessling" <wulin(at)netZero.net>
>few other things screwy with the layout - but I am working on those right
>now and am ok with them. Just that annoying little border.
>Anyway - the URL is:
>http://www.angelcities.com/members/northwind/index.html

Hi again Craig,

As I suspected, your gray border was part of the image itself.  I sent you=
=20
a new copy saved as gif with a transparent background and that border=20
removed.  In general you should keep in mind that images that are comprised=
=20
of mostly large areas of solid color,  line art or text are better saved as=
=20
GIF and that the JPG format is better suited to photographic images or=20
images with complex gradients or thousands or millions of colors.  Your=20
image in this case is a good example of an image better exported as=20
GIF.  You might want to re-export it to GIF from your original file created=
=20
in Fireworks, Photoshop, PSP or whatever as it will probably come out=20
crisper and cleaner than the one I made for you from your JPG.  The GIF=20
format is loss less and file size reduction comes from reducing the number=
=20
of colors as opposed to the lossy compression method of JPEGs that discards=
=20
image data in order to reduce file size.  Text quickly becomes blurry in=20
JPG images while it remains crisp in GIFs

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron