Re: caption tag?

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:57:04 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:52 PM 20/06/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks.  I wonder what the advantage of this was if you could acheive the
>same thing by making a two-rowed table --one for the image and one for the
>caption?  Must explain why it's so obscure anymore.

The advantage of the CAPTION tag over a two row table is that the CAPTION=20
tag is a semantic element that gives information about the nature of the=20
table for non-visual user-agents (or browsers).  From the W3C HTML 4.01=
 spec:

"Visual user agents allow sighted people to quickly grasp the structure of=
=20
the table from the headings as well as the caption. A consequence of this=20
is that captions will often be inadequate as a summary of the purpose and=20
structure of the table from the perspective of people relying on non-visual=
=20
user agents.

Authors should therefore take care to provide additional information=20
summarizing the purpose and structure of the table using the summary=20
attribute of the TABLE element. This is especially important for tables=20
without captions. Examples below illustrate the use of the summary=
 attribute."

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron